Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chapter 2: The Ballroom

Naturally, a castle needs a ballroom, so that was a priority.  And in the grand scheme of rooms for this castle, this was seriously easy.
I used my paper trimmer to cut 1" squares from some origami paper, I had on hand.  I chose it because it was shiny and reminded me of the marble fancy ballroom floors in the real castles I've visited.
I didn't have enough of the paper I used for the back wall to do all the walls; nor did I have enough of the velum I used on the side walls, so I just used both.  I painted the entire inside of the box pink as base for everything.
I, also, happened to have some Disney princess stickers in my stash.  The group picture of the princess combined with the frame made me think of the gorgeous ceiling paintings in Versailles.
But I found myself dissatisfied with the way the paper edges looked where the walls.  I needed some sort of trim or molding, something to  give it a little extra sparkle to the room.  Because we live in an area that celebrates Mardi Gras, we just happened to have a shocking amount of Mardi Gras beads, many of which were already broken (I have two little girls who play rather roughly at times).  Voila--sparkly trim!

Still, I felt it was missing something.  There needed to be a source of music and lighting.  It was missing lighting.  With the ceiling mural a chandelier was not going to work.  Maybe sconces would work.  A visit to the local hobby shop and a rummage through the clearance part of the jewelry making department yielded two brooches that had the look and scale I felt the room needed.  I used wire cutters to snip off the pins.  Some gold hot glue and a few moments later, we had sconces.
I still needed musicians.  I found a perfect silhouette of a chamber quartet after a long search through Google images.  I printed it on heavy stock and with my very sharp scissor and an exacto knife, I cut it out, then glued it to the back.  I chose the smaller scale to give the suggestion that the room was much bigger than it and the musicians were not as close to the dancers.
After all that, lots of modge podge was brushed on everything, except the sconces.


No comments:

Post a Comment