Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chapter 4: Tiana's room


 The era of Tiana's story gave me an excuse to find decor from the Art Nouveau style.  The stained glass windows include a frog and a firefly to tie in the fun parts of the story.  All of the paper was from my existing stash.  The bed is made from a candy box, a boston baked beans box, to be exact..
I found a picture of the this amazing headboard and had to make a bed out of it.  The candy box was the base.  I printed images of the bed, including a reverse image of the footboard, so that the footboard could be two sided.  I very carefully cut the images out and pasted the reverse image on the back of the footboard, then pasted the headboard and footboard on the candy box.
Much to my annoyance, I discovered the doll I'd used to determine if the candybox mattress would be long enough, did not have a hairstyle as high as Tiana's  I had to use a different candy box.  I started with a much longer one and cut it down to size.  Lesson learned, use the doll you for whom you are building to measure appropriate bed sizes.  I have pictures of cutting a larger box down to size with the explanation of Cinderella's room.  When I remade, Tiana' s bed, I added feet, to raise the bed off the floor.  I also glues the bed to the floor.
Sadly, the beautiful swan neck details, that I had worked to obsessively to cut for the footboard, could not withstand the vigorous use of two little girls and their friends, so I cut off the ones that hadn't been torn off, to protect the footboard from being totally destroyed.  It has avoided further damage.  
 
 I printed reverse images of each of the stained glass windows and then placed them on the outside of the castle walls at the same positions.  The firefly window was framed out with painted crafts sticks.  The round windows posed a challenge.  I decided to use hot glue to frame them and then painted the glue.  It's "rustic" looking but no more so than the wooden window frames, so I'm calling it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment