Monday, September 1, 2014

The Castle Project Chapter 9: Jasmine's Room

I had such fun searching for images for this room.  To be true to the source of the story, it had to be so totally different than the styles of any of the other rooms. Rich jewel tones were were a must for color.  The entire room was designed around the inspiration image of the domed ceiling area.  All the color choices stemmed from that image.  The red paper I used for the walls and floor and ceiling has subtle texture to it.  I found Persian carpets, Moroccan lamps, a Moroccan table serving table and a Turkish tea set.
The bed would need a special touch, too.  So, the first sewing project of this endeavor took place.  I had a stash of felt from another project and I had gold thread and beads from yet other projects.  A big ol' fat cushion of a bed was made.
It needed a little something else so I made tables from beads saved from a broken purse, some Chinese coins and E6000.
 I realize that culturally, paintings of people are not really appropriate, but I wanted one anyway.  One day we'll get an Aladdin doll, but until, then, her beloved will be with her, in a little way.
My daughter had a dress up skirt that was falling apart.  I'd saved it but had no idea how to repair it.  The outer skirt was sheer with a golden swirling pattern.  It just screamed to be part of the room.  I sealed the edges with gold hot glue and used the same hot glue to fashion the curtain to the ceiling,  I decided on a rounded attachment to lend depth to the ceiling.
 For a while my girls just pushed the sides back to get the curtains out of the way.  But recently, I managed add ribbons to side for a more formal tie back.  Serendipitously, the girls had been to a party from which the favors were little animals, one of the ones they brought home was tiger--a perfect little Rajah for Jasmine.


No comments:

Post a Comment